Thursday, January 28, 2010

Requiem for a Sock Knitter

So it happened – I am well and truly dead. As noted on the Sock Wars website, I’m “All Dead. Not Mostly Dead. All Dead. Dead as a doornail.”

DH went to the mailbox yesterday because I didn’t want to open the box to see the weapon of my destruction. He came back in with a handful of letters and no package – good news, right? I was so relieved and DH offered a hug. As I put my arms around him, I could feel a bulge under the back of his fleece. The day of doom had arrived.

The socks are blue, just the color I had requested. They are perfect with jeans. I wore them to my Wednesday evening knitting group and got lots of compliments.






I was pleasantly surprised to see that some swag accompanied the weapon. There was candy, stitch markers, tea bags and a card. The treats helped to soften the blow.




I was startled when I opened the card. Stars popped out at me and my assassin had written, “Bang! You’re dead.”




So, I’m not going to be the last knitter standing and I’m not going to have the most kills, but I did get one notch on my knitting needles. Will I do it again? Probably, I will. It was a lot of work and the quickest I’ve ever finished a pair of socks, but it’s exciting to wait for a weapon to arrive in mailbox.

I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of Sock Wars. ~Jean Giraudoux (apologies)

1 comment:

adoptionmsw said...

I love the stitch markers...