Monday, July 6, 2009

Mouse Tales

I was working on my perennial garden today and I needed a spade to do some planting. DH and I went out to the shed that is attached to the chicken coop to look for an appropriate tool. As he was looking through the garden tools, I saw something scurry from under the garden tractor. I mentioned it to DH and he shook the tractor slightly and a colony of mice ran from under the hood of the tractor as if they were leaving a sinking ship. They scurried around the shed trying to find hiding places while DH made some choice comments. He had recently displaced them from a space above the chicken coop and they obviously found a place to relocate.

We pushed the tractor out of the shed and DH took it apart and found that the whole engine compartment was stuffed with grass, probably as a mousy maternity ward. After vacuuming out the grass and putting the tractor back together, DH went directly to the hardware store. He returned with all sorts of mouse prevention aids. The shed is now full of traps and sticky papers. I’m glad I left my gardening tools in the garage because I’m definitely not going into the shed tomorrow to see the results.

1 comment:

AdoptionMSW said...

Better in the shed than in the house. We had an adventure last summer when we came home from our month long New England/Maritime Provinces tour. There were a lot of ants in the kitchen so Dick bought plastic traps. He put two down near the radiator. The next morning they were gone. He put two more down and the next morning, gone. By the time six of them had disappeared we realized the mice must be enjoying them. We got some "mouse management devices" too. We caught a few and then we found one that was caught in the sticky trap but struggled its way across the kitchen. And, there was the one that jumped out of the pantry cabinet at me one night...
Finally the management sent an exterminator and we supplemented his efforts with De-con. We haven't seen any furry friends since...