Monday, May 10, 2010

Flour Power

Last weekend I fed my knitting habit and for Mother’s Day weekend I fed my bread baking habit. I am so lucky that DS#1 lives in Lebanon, NH which is very close to the King Arthur Store. On Saturday DH and DS ran a race in Woodstock, VT. It poured and I elected to stay behind to sleep in. When they came back they were drenched and tired, so they decided to warm up and then take naps. This was my chance to head out for my flour fix.

After getting only slightly lost, I arrived at the King Arthur store just as the morning’s baking class got out. After stowing their goodies in their cars, all of the students made a beeline for the store. It was jammed. I snagged a shopping cart and started to snatch up the things I knew I needed. I got white whole wheat flour, high fiber flour blend, hi-maize fiber, malted milk powder, potato flour, Harvest Grains and malted wheat flakes. They got everything on my list; then I started to browse. The store has every gadget and gizmo the home baker could want - baking pans, baking tools, linens, aprons, dough buckets, mixers, bread machines and on and on. They also have every ingredient you could possibly want from mixes to make cakes and scones to bagel toppings to 3 or 4 different kinds of rye flour. It’s a baker’s paradise. I controlled myself and only bought a dough scraper.


After a lovely weekend and Mother's Day breakfast with two of my favoite guys, we headed home. And what was the first thing that I did when I got there? You guessed it - I baked a loaf of Harvest Grain bread.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gini, I loved your bread when you made it for us (how many years ago now?). Thank goodness I DON'T live near the King Arthur store, just getting their catalog is dangerous enough for me!