Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spring Has Sprung

So spring in Vermont can be a capricious thing. Last Monday we had lunch on the deck and then I sat out there in the afternoon with my computer chatting with DH while he worked on two new raised beds for vegetable gardening. Then for the following two days it snowed!
Now it is quite warm again, but is it really spring? I think I got the proof I needed when I went to the local supermarket after church on Sunday. There in the produce aisle were fiddlehead ferns and rhubarb – sure signs of spring. I passed on the ferns because I don’t really like them, although I will pick some up for DH and DS #1 before they are gone, but I did buy rhubarb. While DH was out participating with the Marine Corps League in the Annual Maple Festival Parade, I baked him a strawberry rhubarb pie. It was the least I could do for someone who has spent days building raised bed and shoveling soil for me.
Now the peas are poking through the soil, the arugula and lettuce are up and maybe there is a hint of a beet or two and some Swiss chard, but time will tell. Anyway, I’m going to continue to think spring.


No comments: