Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lilacs

I love lilacs. Lilacs make me think of my Nana, who loved them, too. Lilacs make me think of Mother's Day since that's when they seem to bloom, so that makes me think of my mom. Lilacs make me think of my childhood. Lilacs screened our yard from our next door neighbor's yard. We had white and purple and, when they bloomed, my mom would cut some, wrap the stems in aluminum foil and send me off to school with a bouquet for my teacher.

We have two lilacs in the front of our house. Every year I say I'm going to cut some to bring into the house, and every year I forget until it's too late and they are starting to fade. Not this year. I saw them out the window as I was vacuuming and stopped what I was doing, grabbed the clippers, and cut myself a bouquet. The lilacs are on the piano now and the room smells like memories.



1 comment:

Meaghan said...

Way to remind us to take time to smell the flowers! Thanks :)